I was awestruck. Obviously, I had never, ever, seen such a gargantuan edifice. Probably because I belonged to Pueblo.
Walking into the Colorado Springs mall, my eyes tried to take in all the information at a glance, which was inadequate, nonetheless. Can't remember the name of the mall; it probably doesn't matter anyway, since there were a dozen more malls like the one I was standing in, for sure, sprawled all across the city. Eyes darting back and forth, I could see every single thing there, you just name it. I was new to U.S. Everything was different; rather sparkling, sleek, appealing.
Winding across the labyrinth of innumerable shops, going through the awkward stepping-on-the-escalator moments, we entered a random shop selling some cool stuff. Stuff that I wasn't really interested in. But what caught my attention was this blonde girl peeping from behind a shelf. I was used to it; people looking at me with awe-inspiring gazes, wondering how on earth an alien like me ended up amongst them. It wasn't frustrating at all. I felt special. I remember wearing a shalwar kameez that day. I thought maybe she was interested in the peculiar clothing I had on.. But it was something else that she noted.
She finally strided towards me. About 16, beautiful blonde hair. I was pretty sure she was Italian. Should've asked her when I could've. She initiated the converstaion. It was the second phrase that took me aback. Is she like, kidding me! must've been my mistake. I asked her again, I'm sorry what did you say your name is?
Hope.
Hope Scott.
That, my friend, is a really cool name. I said to myself.
We talked about the usual it's-so-awesome-to-be-an-exchange-student stuff. And then she asked me what she had been so tempted to ask from the beginning.
Are you Muslim?
Well, DUHH! Again, talking to myself.
I answered in affirmation. And then she narrated regarding how she was a Christian by birth, but she just converted to Islam a couple of moths back. I could see how happy, and hopeful, she was to see me. She found someone as alien as she was. She also introduced me to her friends. And then she started telling me about how her parents don't like this choice she made.
I felt it coming. Sort of. She asked me if I'd like to see her parents. How could I've said no. Her parents seemed uninterested, or maybe disgusted. I have no idea.
I added her on Facebook the first thing after getting back home. She'd occasionally talk to me about her struggle she's going through. And it kindled a hope somewhere within me. After a couple of months, she changed her names to Fatima. I was deeplyhappy ecstatic about it; the way she was sticking to her beliefs and paving way for a better life for herself, where she can live according to her own rules with no regrets, no blames.
I have no idea where is she? how is she? or what is she doing right now? She just disappeared off of Facebook one day. I did try to search for her. Didn't work. I just wish wherever she is, and however she is, she believes that she WILL get there one day.
It's all about hope after all. Isn't it?
Word Count: 554.
Walking into the Colorado Springs mall, my eyes tried to take in all the information at a glance, which was inadequate, nonetheless. Can't remember the name of the mall; it probably doesn't matter anyway, since there were a dozen more malls like the one I was standing in, for sure, sprawled all across the city. Eyes darting back and forth, I could see every single thing there, you just name it. I was new to U.S. Everything was different; rather sparkling, sleek, appealing.
Winding across the labyrinth of innumerable shops, going through the awkward stepping-on-the-escalator moments, we entered a random shop selling some cool stuff. Stuff that I wasn't really interested in. But what caught my attention was this blonde girl peeping from behind a shelf. I was used to it; people looking at me with awe-inspiring gazes, wondering how on earth an alien like me ended up amongst them. It wasn't frustrating at all. I felt special. I remember wearing a shalwar kameez that day. I thought maybe she was interested in the peculiar clothing I had on.. But it was something else that she noted.
She finally strided towards me. About 16, beautiful blonde hair. I was pretty sure she was Italian. Should've asked her when I could've. She initiated the converstaion. It was the second phrase that took me aback. Is she like, kidding me! must've been my mistake. I asked her again, I'm sorry what did you say your name is?
Hope.
Hope Scott.
That, my friend, is a really cool name. I said to myself.
We talked about the usual it's-so-awesome-to-be-an-exchange-student stuff. And then she asked me what she had been so tempted to ask from the beginning.
Are you Muslim?
Well, DUHH! Again, talking to myself.
I answered in affirmation. And then she narrated regarding how she was a Christian by birth, but she just converted to Islam a couple of moths back. I could see how happy, and hopeful, she was to see me. She found someone as alien as she was. She also introduced me to her friends. And then she started telling me about how her parents don't like this choice she made.
I felt it coming. Sort of. She asked me if I'd like to see her parents. How could I've said no. Her parents seemed uninterested, or maybe disgusted. I have no idea.
I added her on Facebook the first thing after getting back home. She'd occasionally talk to me about her struggle she's going through. And it kindled a hope somewhere within me. After a couple of months, she changed her names to Fatima. I was deeply
I have no idea where is she? how is she? or what is she doing right now? She just disappeared off of Facebook one day. I did try to search for her. Didn't work. I just wish wherever she is, and however she is, she believes that she WILL get there one day.
It's all about hope after all. Isn't it?
Word Count: 554.
4 comments:
Sameer your words are so beautiful and I just can't tell you how glad I am to know you!
I love reading your posts, dude! It is my mission to somehow find this "Hope Scott" for you!
So Guess what? I totally had that Hawwww WTF Face. I mean I knew that you met her and I remember teasing you about it (LOL)But seriously i never expected the end to be like that. I mean seriously? Waisey I HOPE you find her :)
I totally love the write up and I had to Google a couple of words you used there
Nani, can't express how grateful I am to you, for making my last year the best one in my life!
Jeremy, I really hope you do. Tell her I say 'hi' :D
Qaneeta, Ikr! I have no idea why I never told you the whole story. But somehow, she was part of our conversations all year long. Thank you, again :)
Post a Comment